Reading Instruction (MA or Endorsement)
Why study reading instruction at Aurora University?
Are you a current teacher who wants new opportunities in reading and literacy? Build on your expertise in the classroom to become an effective reading teacher with our Master of Arts in Reading Instruction or Reading Teaching Endorsement program. District partners consistently applaud the quality of our graduates.
Complete coursework focused on developing content knowledge and skills related to reading instruction and program leadership. Once you complete the program you are eligible to take the Reading Specialist Content Area Test for a Reading Specialist Endorsement.
You have the option to earn a Reading Teacher Endorsement without completing the master’s degree by completing content classes related to literacy as well as a supervised clinical practicum. You will meet requirements for the Reading Teacher Endorsement by completing the required coursework and passing the Reading Teacher Content Area Test.
- Program length: 36 semester hours (master's program) or 24 semester hours (endorsement program)
- Average class size: 14 students
- Location options: Main campus and Woodstock Center
- Tuition: $470 per semester hour
- This program is approved by the Illinois State Board of Education.
- The curriculum aligns with state and national standards.
- All courses are taught by experienced educational leaders.
Experiential learning opportunities
The program includes an extensive practicum component. It allows candidates to meet the state and national standards for reading teachers. Students will also be able to pursue field experience activities that are built into each of the nine foundation courses.
- Reading teacher
- Literacy coach
- Reading interventionist
- Reading team leader
- Department chair
Get hired by the best
Our graduates have been hired in a variety of schools across the state of Illinois. These include public, private, parochial, and special education settings.