These guidelines are to help users who are not familiar with how to use the functions of Microsoft Word. Some functions may be similar in Works.
- Select FILE from the top panel, then PAGE SETUP then MARGINS. In the boxes change the spacing by either typing in the number 1 or using the scroll buttons at the side of each box.
- To include page numbers click on VIEW in the top panel, then on HEADER AND FOOTER in the drop down menu. This will give you the Header and Footer boxes. Anything included in either the Header or Footer boxes will be included on all pages (unless you specify otherwise). To include the page number click on ALIGN RIGHT in the top panel to move the curser to the right, type in the title information you are including then click on the INSERT PAGE NUMBER (#) in the header footer auto insert box that appears in the middle of your page. Close this box to return to your document.
- Click FORMAT then PARAGRAPH. You will get a box that has several sections. You want the spacing section and under line spacing select DOUBLE. If you have already inserted text you will need to highlight that text then follow the above directions.
- Click on FORMAT then PARAGRAPH. You will get a box that has several sections. You want the INDENTATIONS section and under SPECIAL select HANGING and be sure the amount is set to .5. This will create a hanging indent for all text that follows. If you have already entered your references you need to highlight them first, then follow the above steps.
- Click on FORMAT then PARAGRAPH. You will get a box that has several sections. You want the INDENTATIONS section and for the Left set the amount to .5. This will indent all text that follows, so when you are finished with the block quote you will need to return these amounts to 0. If you have already entered the text you need to highlight it first, then follow the above steps. In this case the change will only apply to the text you highlight and you should not have to reset the amounts.
- Separate your title page and reference pages from by inserting a page break between them. To do this set your curser to the space where you want the text to stop. Go to INSERT then BREAK and select PAGE BREAK. This will automatically put everything that follows on a new page.
**REMEMBER** EDIT then UNDO can erase your previous actions, so if you have difficulties, such as inserting a break in the wrong place click EDIT then UNDO to reverse your most recent changes. Repeat this process to trace your steps back to the problem.
For other questions or problems refer to your HELP guide in the top panel in your Word program, call us at (630) 844-5520, or talk to your instructor.