Admission Requirements - Special Education Endorsement
All candidates seeking admission to the Special Education Endorsement program must:
- Have a valid Illinois professional educator license (early childhood, elementary, secondary or preschool-age 21)
- One or more years of teaching experience in a PreK-12 setting and current district employment
- Pass the Illinois Basic Skills Test, TAP Test of Academic Proficiency or have an ACT Plus Writing composite score of 22 or higher.
- A completed Graduate Application for Admission
- Transcripts (official, sealed in envelope) for all prior college and/or university credit. Aurora University accepts official electronic transcripts at AU-ETranscripts@aurora.edu
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution with an average GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. If your grade point average is below that of a 3.0, you may be accepted on a probationary basis. If probationary status is granted, a formal review will be conducted by the program director after completion of the first three courses, in which a 3.0 average must be maintained or you will not be able to continue the program.
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your professional potential related to this field
- Pass a National Background Check (Criminal Activity and Sex Offender); completed after admission.