The Aurora University Graduate Addictions Certification program is designed to meet the Illinois Certification Board (ICB) requirements for candidates to become Certified Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Counselors (CADC) in Illinois. The program can be completed as a specialization within the Master of Social Work program, or may be completed by students who already hold a Master of Social Work or related degree. Undergraduate students in the AU social work program also may complete the certification. The requirements can be completed in one calendar year or extended to three years at the Aurora campus or Woodstock Center.
- A completed Graduate Application for Admission
- Transcripts (official, sealed in envelope) from your MSW degree granting college and/or university. Aurora University accepts official electronic transcripts at AU-ETranscripts@aurora.edu. *Undergraduate degree holders and graduate degree holders in disciplines other than social work may be required to take courses in addition to the addictions specialization courses to meet requirements for the CADC.
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your professional or academic abilities
- Personal meeting with the Coordinator of the Addictions Training Specialization or his/her designee.
Graduate Addictions Certification students must successfully complete the following courses within three academic years after being officially accepted into the certificate program and maintain a cumulative 3.0 grade-point average:
- SWK 6340 — Survey of Substance Abuse Evaluation and Treatment (3)
- SWK 6350 — Psychopharmacology (3)
- SWK 6200 — Addictions Counseling I (3)
- SWK 6400 — Addictions Counseling II (3)
- SWK 6810 — Graduate Addictions Certification Advanced Field Instruction (3)
We believe that the student should play a vital role in determining his/her field placement. We will help you select an internship site and maintain contact information with agencies. Placements should be arranged before you register for SWK6810.
The School of Social Work is accredited by the Illinois Certification Board (ICB) at the advanced level. Upon completion of the program, you are eligible to sit for the CADC certification examination. Certification and testing information for the CADC exam can be found on the ICB website.
If you have any questions or need further information, please contact:
Center for Adult and Graduate Studies