Materials from the 2014 Teaching and Research Symposium
Below are handouts and presentation files, links to Prezi presentations and websites, and information for books and/or articles mentioned at the Symposium. Materials are in order as presented in the Symposium Schedule.
Pam Wicks, EdD; Chetna Patel, PhD; Stephanie Whitus, PhD - Cheap (FREE!) and Easy Ways to “Carrot” Students through the Use of Digital and Web-based Technologyhnologies
Faith Wilson, EdD - Using Skype IM Chat to Facilitate Online Discussions (PDF)
Donald Danner, MBA - The Pathways Commission-Recommendations and Implementation Activities (PDF)
David Diehl, MBA, EdS, CPA/PFS, CMA - Research Partnership: AU MBA Students & Woodstock Economic Development Commission (PDF)
Brenda Barnwell, MSW, LCSW, CADC, ABD; Jennifer Buckley, EdD; Libby Escobedo, PhD; Heidi Schlumpf, MTS; Eva Serrano, EdD; Mark Soderstrom, PhD; Stephanie Whitus, PhD - Models of Classroom Inquiry (PDF)
Christina Bruhn, PhD; Matthew Kneller, EdD - Assessment of Factors Impacting Retention of First Year AU Students (PDF)
Brian Vander Schee, PhD - Collegiate Competitions: Successes and Student Learning (PDF)
Denise Hatcher, EdD - I'll Take a Little Spanish with That, Please (PDF)
Christopher Wells, MS - Building Student Community through a Sailing Course (PDF)
Sara Johnson, PhD; Meredith Harvey, PhD - Beyond the Classroom: Cultural Diversity Experience and First Year Students (PDF)
Libby Escobedo, PhD; Martin Forward, PhD; Mark Soderstrom, PhD; Mark Plummer, DA - Strategies for Teaching IDS 2020: Trajectories of Human History (PDF)
Tim Moran, EdD - Study of Interns' Perception of and Satisfaction with Experimental Learning (PDF)
Amy Schlumpt Manion, MA, MLIS - Using Phillips Library's Ebooks
Deb Kennedy, PhD - Global Justice Lessons Learned (PDF)
Susan Hammack, EdD - Multiple Exposures + Variety of Ways = In-depth Learning (PDF)
Joan Fee, PhD - Engaging Students in Technical Topics (PDF)
Jon Ross, MA - Simulation and Role Play in the Classroom: The "CyberWhispers" Game (PDF). NOTE: This presentation included an all-group simulation. Contact Jon for additional information.
Materials from Campus Workshops and Sessions
Below are handouts and teaching materials distributed in the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning sessions and workshops.
Discover Your Students: Academic Tenacity--Non-cognitive Factors that Facilitate Student Success (PDF)
Grit Survey (PDF)
Grit Survey - Interactive/auto-score
(Submitted by David Reetz, PhD, February 12, 2014 session)
Best Practices in Leading Effective Classroom Discussions (PDF)
(Submitted by James Varney, EdD, November 13, 2013 session)
Best Practices in Online Learning (PDF)
(Submitted by Jean Hess, EdD, Brian Husby, PhD, and Stephanie Whitus, PhD, October 11, 2013 session)
Best Practices in Active Learning (PPTX)
(Submitted by Nancy Petges, Kelly Roush, and Heidi Schlumpf, September 27, 2013 session)
Discover Your Students: Tools
for Early Detection and Prevention (PDF)
(Submitted by David Reetz, PhD, August 22, 2013 session)
Materials Compiled by AU’s Phillips Library
Scholarship of Teaching and Learning – Provides a link to the Journal on Excellence in College Teaching.
For Faculty - Answers questions about citation styles, copyright and plagiarism, and includes instructions for students on how to conduct library research. Moodle course widgets are provided, along with materials and slides from the Faculty Teaching and Research Symposium.
Specific Classroom Tools and Technologies
ooVoo Tutorial (NIU)
Photo Story 3 Tutorial
Simple WikiSpaces instructions
Wiki Tour – Pick your tour
Websites, Articles and Books
The below resources provide information on teaching and learning for both general and discipline-specific pedagogy.
- MERLOT Pedagogy provides numerous suggestions for understanding how learning works, how to design instruction, teaching strategies, responding to teaching challenges and assessment.
- MERLOT Elixr is a collaborative tool for faculty to post and to use case stories and faculty development resources. Watch videos on teaching strategies for engaging learners and cooperative learning in large groups.
- The Journal of Effective Teaching is a peer-reviewed online journal devoted to teaching excellence in higher education.
- The latest issue of the International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education is now available online.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education Advice Columns focus on helpful topics.
- Princeton’s McGraw Center for Teaching & Learning offers The Scholar as Teacher “Tip-Sheet Series” of useful information related to teaching excellence: http://www.princeton.edu/mcgraw/library/sat-tipsheets/
- The Professional and Organizational Development (POD) Network operates an electronic mailing list at http://listserv.nd.edu/archives/pod.html. This list is hosted by the University of Notre Dame's John A. Kaneb Center for Teaching and Learning.
- Guides to a variety of teaching topics have been prepared by Vanderbilt University’s Center for Teaching.
- Penn State’s Schreyer Institute for Teaching Excellence provides numerous resources for best practices in teaching.
- LIFTs – Little Ideas for Teaching – Illinois State University’s Center for Teaching, Learning and Technology
- The Teaching Professor offers some terrific articles. Maryellen Weimer's writings are especially helpful.
- University of Minnesota’s Center for Teaching and Learning offers some basic active learning strategies.
- Innovative Educators offers some webinars at no cost.
- Weekly Innovations - Check out the videos!
- National Teaching and Learning Forum offers some complimentary issues of its newsletter.
- Faculty Focus provides many articles and resources at no cost.
- University of Michigan’s Center for Research on Learning and Teaching provides strategies and sample lesson plans.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s Center for Faculty Excellence offers some suggestions for classroom activities.
- A Brief Summary of the Best Practices in College Teaching
- Developing Objectives and Relating Them to Assessment
- Seven (+?) Resources for Better PowerPoint
- The 21st Century Digital Student: Google Books as a Tool in Promoting Undergraduate Research in the Humanities
- Group Work: How to Use Groups Effectively
- List of 150 Teaching Methods
- The Little Assignment with the Big Impact: Reading, Writing, Critical Reflection, and Meaningful Discussion
- Bank, C. (2008). Empowering online learning : 100+ activities for reading, reflecting, displaying, and doing. Jossey-Bass
- Bernstein, D., Nelson Burnett, A., Goodburn, A., & Savory, P. (2006). Making teaching and learning visible: Course portfolios and the peer review of teaching. Bolton, MA: Anker.
- Brookfield, S. (1991). Developing critical thinkers: Challenging adults to explore alternative ways of thinking and acting. Jossey-Bass
- Brookfield, S. (1992). The skillful teacher. Jossey-Bass
- Brookfield, S. (1995). Becoming a critically reflective teacher. Jossey-Bass
- Brookfield, S., & Preskill, S. (1999). Discussion as a way of teaching: Tools and techniques for university teachers. Society for Research into Higher Education and Open University Press
- Filene, P. (2005). The joy of teaching. The University of North Carolina Press
- Fink, L. D. (2003). Creating significant learning experiences. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Finkel, D. (2000) Teaching with Your Mouth Shut. Portsmouth, NH: Boyton/Cook Publishers, Inc.
- Howe, N., & Strauss, W. (2007). Millennials go to college: Strategies for a new generation on campus. (2nd ed.). Life Course Associates
- Huston, T. (2009) Teaching what you don't know. Harvard University Press
- McKeachie, W.J. (2011). Teaching tips: Strategies, research, and theory for college and university teachers. (13th ed.). Heath and Company
- Nilson, L. B. (2007). The graphic syllabus and the outcomes map: Communicating your course. Jossey-Bass
- Savory, P., Nelson Burnett, A., & Goodburn, A. (2007). Inquiry into the college classroom: A journey toward scholarly teaching. Anker
- Walvoord, B. E., & Anderson, V. J. (2010). Effective grading: A tool for learning and assessment in college. Jossey-Bass
- Wehlburg, C. (2006). Meaningful course revision: Enhancing academic engagement using student learning data. Anker
- Weimer, M. (2002). Learner-centered teaching: Five key changes to practice. Jossey-Bass